Flight Connected
Lost and Found
Death of a Husband
A Deeper Walk
Healing Miracle
Baby Solomon
Two Years to Live
In His Steps


Healing Miracle


In May 1984 I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. I underwent surgery to have the prostate and approximately 30 lymph nodes removed. Pathology reports indicated that cancer had spread into the lymph nodes, which placed me in the category of a terminal patient. After surgery, I opted for an alternative treatment, and for the next 12 years that was able to keep it in check. During the past year, however, it started to become more active and harder to control. A bone scan and CT scan of October 30, 1996 showed cancer in a number of spots in the spine, pelvis, and shoulder as well as in some lymph nodes. I had been very fortunate that I continued to feel quite well during this time.

Our congregation, Immanuel Lutheran, hosts the Holy Spirit Seminar every spring. This was on March 14 and 15th this year (1997). On the first evening I went up for prayer and asked to be baptized with the Holy Spirit. I had the beautiful experience of resting in the Spirit. (Quite the experience for a conservative Lutheran to be lying on his back in the aisle oblivious to all else but God and knowing in a very real way that HE is within you.)

By coincidence (or as my friend prefers to call it "godcidence"), the next day the only empty space at a table for lunch was next to the gentleman who prayed for me the evening before. Our discussion went something like this: George said, "Del I think the Lord has more for you, come up for prayer again tonight." My response was, "Great, this time I will ask you to pray for my healing from cancer". George: "Do come. Incidentally I was healed of cancer 18 years ago."

Needless to say that night I went up for prayer with great anticipation and expectation. George started praying for my healing, and much to my surprise, I again gently 'rested in the Spirit'. There was no sensational feeling of healing, just joy, a beautiful restfulness, and knowledge that God had heard this prayer. I knew that HE was answering it in HIS own way! Two things instantly became different. First, I had a very extreme concern for people whom I knew or suspected were hurting in some way. I wanted to pray for them and minister to them however I could. Secondly, I had no further concern about cancer. If the Lord wanted to use me in some way that required healing (and I felt that he did), HE would look after it. I felt that the problem was now HIS and no longer mine.

On April 24, 1997, our son and daughter-in-law were visiting us from B.C. I had been experiencing a very sore lower back for a few weeks (which may or may not have been the result of cancer). It was particularly sore after being on my feet all day shopping with my son. That evening as my daughter-in-law noticed that I was really favoring my back, her comment was, "it's time for prayer." They placed their hands on me and prayed for healing of my knees, back, cancer etc. While they were praying I felt this warm tingling sensation start in the back of my head and slowly move down my spine. Instantly the throbbing back pain was gone, just as though someone turned off a switch. (And I suppose SOMEONE had). When the prayer ended I looked at my wife and said, "I'm healed." She said, "pardon?" Our kids said, "Praise God!" We all did a lot of praising God that evening and long into the night. After everyone else was asleep I was still praising God and marveling at his mercy and blessings for me. I felt HIS presence and healing surge through me for quite a long time as I was lying in bed. From this time onward my energy level has been noticeably improved.

There is a 'phase three' to my healing blessing!! About a week later, my wife was spending the night with a friend at the Cross Cancer Hospital. At 1:30 a.m. I awakened very suddenly to the awesome presence of God in the room and within me. This awakening was very full and sudden, not casual or slow as one often wakes. I was being 'called' even if not with sound. God definitely visited me--I didn't see HIM but I certainly felt HIS awesome presence. I felt physical "surges" of healing, slowly and repeatedly running throughout my body, starting in my head and shoulders and slowly moving throughout my body right down to my feet. Occasionally, involuntary tightening of my legs and arms would occur. I was praying, praising, and asking HIM what he wanted me to do. What a joyous experience! This happiness and joy in HIS presence with these warm "surges" continued throughout my body. When finally things returned close to normal I again looked at the clock beside my bed; two hours had elapsed! HE didn't tell me what HE wanted me to do at that time, however, I had the distinct feeling that HE was telling me that I would be hearing from HIM. I believe that God also catered to a weakness that He knew I had. If this entire happening had only lasted 10 minutes I may have awakened in the morning thinking it was only a dream. However, with this happening over a 2 hour period of time, I have never had a doubt that my "healing" is real.

Recently when reading the Biblical account in John 4 of the Samaritan woman whom Jesus asked for a drink at Jacob's well, I related to her testimony in verses 39 to 42. "Many of the Samaritans from that town believed in HIM because of the woman's testimony. 'He told me everything I ever did'. So when the Samaritans came to HIM, they urged HIM to stay with them, and HE stayed two days. And because of HIS words many more became believers. They said to the woman, 'We no longer believe just because of what you said; now we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this man really is the SAVIOR of the world."

It is my wish and my prayer that something that I have shared with you will help to strengthen your faith in our Lord Jesus Christ and that you will be assured that HE is still at work in our lives and that HE still performs miracles and healings in l997. To HIM be all glory and honor and praise!

[My PSA was up to 370 on May 8, 1997. A follow-up test on July 2, 1997, had dropped to 250 after I had discontinued all medication in May, unheard of in medical terms.]

Email a comment or question to spot@otsm.com

Return to Home Page